The City’s indigent benefits and rates relief campaign drive will be in Avondale, Atlantis this week on 1 December 2022. The City encourages residents who may benefit from its indigent assistance to visit and speak to an official about the available assistance.
Upcoming events are as follows:
1 December 2022 09:30 – 15:30 Avondale Community Hall, Atlantis
8 December 2022 09:30 – 15:30 Lobelia Community Hall, Lentegeur (Postponed due to full council meeting)
‘The cost of the City’s social package for the 2022/23 financial year amounts to R4,7 billion, and includes R2,3 billion for indigent relief and R1,45 billion for rates relief. Those who have qualified for indigent benefits in the past must remember that they need to apply yearly for the benefit, except pensioners who may apply to renew their benefit every three years.
‘It is unfortunate that the event in Lentegeur has been postponed, but we will visit the area in the new year. We encourage residents who may be struggling to approach us about the assistance which is available. Our officials will be at the upcoming event in Atlantis and we are ready to help. Depending on a resident’s unique circumstances, rebates of up to 100% on municipal rates and refuse removal can be granted. Our teams are assisting beneficiaries with the registration process, forms and required documentation, and capturing information accurately,’ said the City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Finance, Councillor Siseko Mbandezi.
Whether residents qualify for indigent support or indigent rates relief depends on monthly household income. If the total household income is R7 500 or less per month, residents could qualify for a discount on water, sewerage, electricity, waste collection and property rates.
The City’s Customer Relations Department will also assist residents with logging service requests.
Residents may qualify for indigent support if they:
- are a homeowner
- earn R7 500 or less per month
- own only one property
- are the full-time occupant of the home
- use the home mainly for residential purposes
- are a child who lives in the home of a parent who has passed away
- received the house in a divorce settlement
- depend on a pension or a social grant for their livelihood
Applicants will need:
- proof of identification (ID book/card or passport)
- a bank statement for the last three months or a sworn affidavit stating that they do not have a bank account
- a bond statement for the last three months or a sworn affidavit stating that they do not have a bond account
- a copy of the estate documents if the applicant has inherited his or her house
If residents are employed, they must also include:
- latest salary/wage pay slip or a letter from an employer stating their income
- a sworn affidavit if they are self-employed stating how much is earned per month
- proof if a disability grant, maintenance grant or pension is received
If residents are unemployed, they must include the following in the application:
- a sworn affidavit stating that they are unemployed
- a sworn affidavit stating that they have no other source of income
Useful contacts and information:
For rates or services relief
Visit: https://www.capetown.gov.za/City-Connect/Apply/Financial-relief-and-rebates/Individuals/Apply-for-indigent-rates-relief or a City customer office.
Pensioner rates relief
Pensioners 60 years or older and people who receive social grants amounting to no more than R17 500 may qualify for a rates rebate of between 10% and 100%. They are invited to go to the nearest City customer care office or send an email to email@example.com
For more information on how to apply for pensioner support: https://www.capetown.gov.za/City-Connect/Apply/Financial-relief-and-rebates/Individuals/Apply-for-senior-citizen-support
For payment arrangements
- Visit: https://www.capetown.gov.za/City-Connect/Pay/Municipal-accounts/Electricity/arrange-a-payment-plan-for-debt-collection
- Email: Payment.firstname.lastname@example.org
For a list of the City’s Cash Offices and Walk-in Centres, please visit: https://www.capetown.gov.za/Explore%20and%20enjoy/See-all-City-facilities/Our-service-facilities/Walk-in%20centres
Source: City Of Cape Town